Serving clients in the State of Maryland; Washington, D.C.; and across the United States, The Law Offices of Scott N. Bergman, LLC, provides results-oriented legal representation in all types of business debt, judgment, breach of contract and/or damages collections. Our extensive experience in commercial debt collection results in speedy solutions and the highest returns possible. If necessary, our firm’s attorneys can litigate on your behalf or through our national network of attorneys across the United States.
Statistics show that the chance of collecting on a debt decreases over time and drops to less than 50 percent just after the third month of delinquency. Too many businesses waste valuable time chasing debtors on their own only to have the debtors file bankruptcy and/or hide their assets, which gives the business a total loss of the debt owed. If some of your accounts are past due, it is important to obtain legal help as soon as possible — since time is of the essence to recover the debt owed.
No Recovery, No Fee
Many law firms handle collections on an hourly basis, meaning they charge for their time. On an hourly basis, win, lose or draw, the lawyer wins. Our law firm handles the vast majority of cases on a contingency basis: If we do not collect, you do not pay! We offer free consultations, and upon completion of the review, we will provide a free rate quote.
Raising The Bar In Debt Collection
Our business debt collection division is committed to providing quality representation and recovering as much money as possible for our clients. We approach this task with professionalism, determination and respect. We offer the following advantages:
- Licensed, bonded and insured — Unlike many collection agencies, we are licensed by the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation. Also, as licensed attorneys, we are held to a higher fiduciary standard and regulated under the State Judiciary Bar. Together, we know the law, we know the collections business, and we have better legal weapons to use than the regular collection agencies do, both before or after a judgment is entered. We are bonded and carry professional liability insurance coverage. Finally, we have an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
- Our professional account managers and collectors have recovered money on behalf of creditors at a rate that surpasses the industry average. There is no contest between our law firm and a collection agency. It is night and day. In addition, we will work to repair your relationship with the debtor so that your customer buys from you again — instead of your competitors. We can also be hired to teach our corporate clients how to possibly strengthen their future legal position and legal instruments with their clients in order to lower the risk of having this situation happen over and over again.
- Our collectors are trained on the specifics of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). We encourage credit card and EFT check over the phone and online payments to resolve your client’s accounts quicker.
- Utilization of WestlawNext — Some business debtors try to hide like roaches and cover their tracks, and creditors can spend time and resources trying to locate them. Rather than LexisNexis searches utilized by other collection agencies, we use WestlawNext’s proprietary algorithm, PeopleMap, for tracking people and companies. This is comparable to the system that law enforcement uses to track down fugitives or persons of interest in crimes.
- Worldwide reach — Our Law Firm conducts collection activities throughout the United States and more than 200 other countries. We offer multilingual collections with an extensive global network of affiliated attorneys, agencies and investigators.
- Business profile scans — If your debtor owes more than $3,000 and is 30 days past due, we will provide guidance so that you can make an informed decision about how to proceed. Our investigation will be discreet and will not show on any credit report. Your relationship with the debtor will be kept intact and unharmed, while you decide what action to pursue.
- NSF check recovery — We will send out a certified demand letter citing the applicable civil state codes, attempting to secure payment within 10 business days from the date we receive the case file.
- Mechanic’s liens — Through our network, we can file liens across the country within applicable state regulations.
- Litigation services — Whether your debtor is in your community or another state, our global network of collection trial attorneys can undertake legal action seeking to recover the funds owed to you.
- Education for our clients – We will teach our clients what steps they should take in the future to better protect themselves from being in a bad situation. In some cases, our clients take our firm on as their contract and legal advisers on a yearly retainer.
Delay Is Costing Your Company Money | Call Us Today
For a free consultation and review of your delinquent business accounts, call us at 301-330-4444, or contact us online. We are available to our clients 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.